Saturday, March 8, 2014

Pappu alias Pappu

I think I've told this to few people.. Anyways it does not harm another time.. To my dear friends from Telengana and Rayalaseema and Hyderabad, it's just a real story, nothing intentional..

The first time I was at an Andhra mess, I had carefully searched for a table and sat down.. Then came the supplier who placed a large plate in front of me and poured a mountain of rice, with just enough space to see my friend across the table..

And then came this one guy in shorts and tee, running around and calling "Pappu, Pappu".. Then couple of people at the next table also started calling "Pappu".. And that made the first guy very furious who began shouting looking at the kitchen and couple other folks.. "PAPPU,PAPPU"..

Well, looked like this guy Pappu was missing.. And looked like he was some important guy too,  as people sitting on the tables were also looking for him... I looked at my friend, Raghuram Pappu across the table.. Is it you who they are looking for..? 

And then a grand old man in an old faded dress emerged from the dark smoky kitchen, holding two steel buckets full of dal curry.. And the guy in shorts and tee made a victorious war cry.. "Pappu!!!"... 

And all the guys at the tables chorused .. "Pappuuuuu"..

And my friend raised his voice and said "Pappu"..

At that, the wise old guy placed one of the buckets at our table, and said "Pappu"..

And then realization dawned.. And everything was alright ..

PS: Pappu is the term for Dal Curry in Telugu, which is one of the most important part of luncheon meals..

No comments:

Post a Comment

Memoirs of an early life - When the flashbacks start...

I used to think I was born in a train…. Some of the earliest memories that I have are that of the dusty sleeper compartments of the Howra...